Friday, March 7, 2014

The Morning Read

I hope everyone has had a great week. Here's what I'm reading this morning.
"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when looked at in the right way did not become still more complicated."

- Poul Anderson

Well, folks, it is the first Friday of the month. Non-farm Friday, as goes the popular sobriquet. To the surprise of many, the S&P 500 has held its ground after Tuesday's major move higher - I, too, might have expected some more profit taking during the middle of the week.

I am of the thought that today's NFP data will only matter if it varies widely from already-muted expectations. I could be wrong, though. Today could be the day it all comes crashing down - I highly doubt it, however.

Asian markets settled somewhat mixed overnight, as the Nikkei added 0.92%, while Chinese markets drifted lower (Hong Kong -0.19%, Shanghai -0.4%). European markets, as of this writing, are slightly lower as well - FTSE -0.28% and the DAX -0.78%. Mario Draghi "disappointed" yesterday by making not a single policy move in the face of what many consider increasing deflationary pressure.

US futures are all barely higher - S&P 500 e-minis are sitting at +1.75, Dow +14, and Nasdaq +1.50. They will continue to tread water until employment data is released at 8:30am EDT.

My present stance in the market is still bullish. I have closed several positions this week, to include BAC and XHB. I have sold some March premium in TSLA and SCTY, and have a couple of long-call positions in some other names. Additionally, my GDX Jan/Mar (rolling front-month) 24.5/27 diagonal spread has been performing nicely. Barring any major shift in sentiment today, I will continue to trade around current positions - taking profits when granted and adjusting any "difficult" positions accordingly.

Here's to closing out the week on a good note.

Put the odds in your favor today.

No comments:

Post a Comment